Circle Tending I: The Art of Facilitation
“Inside of this circle, there are no corners to hide” – Allen Stone
AN INTRODUCTION TO YOUTH GROUP MENTORING & CIRCLE FACILITATION
Designed for adult males of all ages who wish to staff and/or volunteer for Journeymen’s in-school mentoring courses during the 2017-18 school year. Non-male adults are welcome to join with the intention of implementing similar school-based mentoring circles in their communities.
This training is facilitated by Nicky Wilks and Alex Craighead, co-founders and lead guides at Journeymen. The two of them bring over two decades of experience working with youth in outdoor and traditional educational settings, including advanced training in group facilitation, adolescent development, restorative justice and trauma-informed care.
KEY BENEFITS :
- Understanding the basic framework for effective group/circle facilitation
- Experience facilitating circle sharing and/or group activities
- Exposure to the experiential learning process
- Overview of adolescent development in the context of school-based mentoring
- An introduction to the role of trauma-informed care in youth work
- Skills and practice in cross-cultural awareness