Navigation I : The Elements of Mentoring
“It’s been great to see how easy it is to build community and make meaningful connections in just a few hours” – Participant
DISCOVER YOUR INNER MENTOR
Designed for adults of all ages who wish to participate as a mentor during one of Journeymen’s summer courses and/or pursue a career in rites of passage and/or outdoor education. Additionally, this training delivers highly impactful tools that will benefit teachers, mentors, coaches, social workers, parents and anyone else who works with/or wants to work with children, teenagers, or peers more effectively.
This training is facilitated by Nicky Wilks and Alex Craighead, co-founders and lead guides at Journeymen. The two of them bring over two decades of experience working with youth in outdoor and traditional educational settings, and will tap into the story and science of mentoring during this transformative one day training.
Participants may elect to continue their training through a second day (Navigation II). This opportunity is designed for returning and/or experienced youth mentors interested in leading trips and/or deploying mentoring and/or rites of passage offerings in their community. Additional cost for Navigation II is $200.
Those enrolled in both days will be offered camping accommodations on-site (bring your own gear). Dinner on Saturday night will be potluck style, breakfast provided Sunday morning. Lunches are on your own for both days. If you have any question about course content and/or logistics, please contact us.
KEY BENEFITS :
This training delivers the essential skills to cultivate organic and meaningful mentoring relationships in all areas of our lives. Specifically targeted to those who wish to attend one of our overnight courses (adult Mentors or Apprentices), it is also appropriate for anyone who is curious about utilizing a nature-based model of human development for their own personal and/or professional growth. This training is both didactic and experiential by design and will require participants to look deeply into their core values and life trajectory.
- A solid understanding of the elements of a Rite of Passage and how to utilize them in your interactions with youth
- An overview of Journeymen’s nature-based model of human development and its sources of inspiration
- Experience facilitating group activities in an outdoor setting
- Understanding and practicing self-generated ceremony
- How to establish appropriate mentoring relationships in all areas of your life, including finding your own mentor(s)
- Awareness of the components of safety before, during and after rites of passage and other transformative work