Circle Tending I: Intro to Group Mentoring
“Inside of this circle, there are no corners to hide” – Allen Stone
AN INTRODUCTION TO YOUTH GROUP MENTORING & CIRCLE FACILITATION
CT-1 is open to adults of all genders, ages and stages who wish to advance their skills and experience in circle process facilitation. Male-identified adults who wish to staff and/or volunteer for Journeymen’s in-school mentoring groups are required to participate in this course or an equivalent prior to placement.
This training is facilitated by Nicky Wilks and Alex Craighead, co-founders and lead guides at Journeymen. The two of them bring over two decades of experience working with youth in outdoor and traditional educational settings, including advanced training in group facilitation, adolescent development, restorative justice and trauma-informed care.
KEY BENEFITS :
- Understanding the basic framework for effective group/circle facilitation
- Experience facilitating circle sharing and/or group activities
- Exposure to the experiential learning process
- Overview of adolescent development in the context of school-based mentoring
- An introduction to the role of trauma-informed care in youth work
- Awareness of cross-cultural issues in youth work